Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pretzel Rod Treats

Pretzel rod treats are always a hit in my neck of the woods. I can't even count how many years I have been making these and giving them to friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, hair dressers, elderly church members...you get the idea. I usually spend one afternoon and make a huge batch, that way I can throw a few in a small bag or tin at a moments notice. The pretzel rods are super easy to make, just a little time consuming. So here is how I do it!

Have on hand:

  • Pretzel rods-I use Snyders brand
  • Almond Bark or Baker's Chocolate
  • Decorative sprinkles or colored sugar
  • Parchment paper
  • 2-3 Cookie sheets
The almond bark package has directions for microwaving the bark to melt, however, I have tried this method and the texture of the bark was not appealing. If you choose to microwave, I hope it works for you, it just didn't work for me. I choose to melt the bark on the stove top. Not having a double broiler on hand, I use a small sauce pan and place a Pyrex bowl over boiling water. Steam does escape around the sides of the bowl, SO BE CAREFUL if you choose this method.

  1. Place 3-4 sections in bowl to melt...this amount is easy to manage.
  2. Allow sections to melt until bark is smooth.
  3. While bark is melting, place parchment paper on cookie sheets.
  4. Coat one end of a pretzel rod with the bark. The rods were too long for the treat bag purchased, I chose to break the rod in half and cover the broken end with the bark.
  5. Place coated pretzel rod on parchment paper and continue to do so until you have a few rows.
  6. Sprinkle with decorative sugar or sprinkles of your choice. Note: IF you buy sprinkles in a tub and not a shaker,cutting ONE or TWO small holes in the protective plastic makes the container like a shaker!
  7. Once cookie sheet is full, place in freezer to speed up hardening process. Rotating two cookie sheets in and out of the freezer works for me.
  8. Remove hardened pretzel rods from cookie sheet and place into container or treat bags.
  9. Enjoy gifting them to your favorite people!









Thanks for stopping by and Happy Holiday Cooking!




No comments:

Post a Comment