Sunday, December 8, 2013

Eye Mask Tutorial




This eye mask was created out of a need to block the glow of the computer screen! My sweet husband of TWENTY YEARS is a night owl and I go to bed with the chickens! However, we usually go to bed at the same time...me to sleep and he likes to watch guitar lesson videos, gardening websites and so forth. I have tried the traditional eye mask with elastic to hold in place...not comfortable. Then it came to me!!  Make an eye mask similar to the flax seed pillow that I use as a heating pad or cold pac as needed.
I used a couple of different sets of pics for the steps below... some steps were easier to get a clear photo with one fabric 
versus the other.
Pin pattern to fabric and cut 2.  I had a fat quarter that I folded in half.




Place fabric wrong sides together and pin in place...hard to see the pins, but at the top I placed one horizontal to remind me to leave an opening!
Allow about 1/2" seam allowance...remember to leave the opening for turning mask right side out!


Clip around curves, being careful to not clip into the seam.  Iron at this time to set the seam.

I use a card making tool called a bone to get the seams in curves or corners turned right side out.  Basically use a rigid object, be careful using scissors to do this...I have gone through the seam when using scissors, not good.  Iron again to get seam nice and flat. Turn in opening fabric and iron as well.

This is the point where you fill the mask...obviously, the mask in the picture is complete...forgot to take a picture during this step.  I used one cup of flax seed for this bag...I know I have a 1/2 cup in the picture-the 1 cup was MIA.


Once you have the bag filled, edgestitch around entire mask.

The mask is complete and ready to block the computer glow!!



Materials:
  • PATTERN
  • 1 fat quarter
  • thread
  • 1-1/2 cups whole flax seeds (this is usually sold in the bulk section and  at a whole foods/organic type store)


So this is my version of a flax seed eye mask. Hope you find this useful...would love to see your version. Happy sewing and creating!


No comments:

Post a Comment