Thursday, August 15, 2013

Garden just about Anywhere



With a "For Sale" sign in our front yard this spring, it was advised that we not put in our garden. Apparently the garden might ward off potential buyers...I thought it would be considered an plus! I mean how often do you buy a house with the garden already started for you??? The reality is that most people don't garden and I find this sad in some way.
I had already started seeds in an egg carton and hated to just throw them out. Funny thing, the wind got to my light weight carton and took care of most of them for me. The few plants that were left got transplanted into a flower bed along the back of the house. This space is usually used for herbs, so why not just throw a few extras in there. 
I was beginning to think the idea of any fresh vegetable was doomed when the chickens then got into the flower bed and dug up just about EVERYTHING!! I managed to salvage two plants, that I thought were both squash. However, I was surprised to find that one was a watermelon! Just wanted to share a few photos of the plants in that bed and encourage you to garden just about anywhere!
The ONE squash has provided us with plenty for our family of three. I have not had extra to freeze, but have been thankful to not have to buy it in the grocery store. The watermelon has taken over!! We have harvested two of the five melons on the vine and they have been a treat...and the chickens love the left over rinds.
Hope this inspires you to plant a squash or two even when someone tries to squash your garden...Happy Gardening and thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment