Wednesday, July 10, 2013

THE MAKING OF A QUILT







In the quest to get some inventory in the Etsy shop, I decided to try my hand a quilt making. A baby quilt is what I had in mind, that way I wouldn't feel TOO overwhelmed.

I was lucky enough to find a stack of precut 5x5 squares that were on clearance. At this point I had none of the other materials needed...batting or the fabric for the back...but I did not want to spend a lot of money if I was not able to grasp the concept of putting the top together correctly!

I came across a great tutorial on Pinterest, which you can access HERE. I did make some modifications because I did not have enough squares to follow her exact design.

After the success of assembling the quilt top, I ventured out to get batting and the fabric to make the border and the back of the quilt. I did the safety pin basting and used a walking foot, however, it was a little more difficult to keep all the fabric as taut as I would have liked. I think this part just takes PRACTICE!!

The overall product turned out better than I could have imagined. I hope that some sweet baby will enjoy, love, and have memories associated with this quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment