Friday, July 5, 2013

FODDER FOR THE GIRLS


We are fortunate enough to have a one acre lot with our home. Growing up in the country, my family always had chickens for the eggs. (I don't recall actually eating the chickens.)  With all of the concern over what is actually in our food these days, my husband and I decided to try raising chickens....just for the eggs, of course! 

We started with Red Star chicks in March 2012. We purchased them from the local Tractor Supply, and since they require you purchase six, we got six new babies. They have grown into big girls and each are laying daily! 

Over the last year, I have researched different foods for our girls. While researching, I came across fodder systems. Fodder is sprouted from wheat, barley and/or sunflower seeds. It is used to supplement the diet and help your poultry feed budget be a little more friendly!  In the need to be frugal, I managed to make a tray for $1! Eventually, I will need to spend $6 more so that the girls will have fresh fodder EVERY day. But for now, they enjoy the fodder once a week.


What you will need:
  • one plastic tray--I got mine at Dollar Tree and it is a 9x13
  • ice pick or something similar to poke holes in your tray
  • organic wheat berries, barley or sunflower seeds
Begin by placing 6-8 holes in one end of your tray.



Place enough wheat berries in your tray to be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep. 

Run water over the wheat to really get everything good and soaked. Then let most of the excess water drain out of the holes in the one end of the container.

I left the lid under the container to catch any water that might continue to leak out. Place a few damp paper towels on top of the wheat to help keep the moisture level high.
Each day, remove the paper towel, run water over the wheat until it is thoroughly soaked, and let the majority of the excess water drain. The first few days I did take my hand to "stir" the wheat and to make sure all of the wheat was wet and replaced the wet paper towel on top. Around the fourth day or when the green part of the sprout starts to appear, I no longer used the paper towel.
           
Day One
Day Two
           
Day Three
Day Four


           
Day Five
Day Six

Day Seven the girls got to enjoy some fresh fodder and they LOVED it! 


Have you ever made fodder for your girls? Have you ever sprouted a different grain? If so, I would like to hear about your process and any tips, tricks or suggestions you may have. 

Thanks for stopping by and happy homesteading to you!














No comments:

Post a Comment