Thursday, July 4, 2013

REDWORK REVIVAL


Learning to embroider at the age of 12 means that some type of embroidery has been a hobby of mine for quite a few years.  I did not begin to do redwork until a few years ago, but I really enjoy the finished look.

Just for kicks, I looked up a little of the redwork history. Surprisingly, Turkey Red was one of the first colorfast threads. Redwork was initially done on household items, as I have done. Later it was used in quilting, as there were pre-stamped quilt blocks being sold.  As with patterns today, redwork covered subjects of all types: animals, children, flowers, and toys to name a few.

The flour sack tea towel I bought was 28"x28"...a little too big for my taste. I did wash, dry and iron the towel then cut it in half. Not wanting to just hem the raw edge, I chose to place a ruffle down the one side for a bit of added decoration and interest. The finished product turned out great!  However, my husband did ask permission to use the towel this evening!! I made it to use, so of course I told him YES!


I would like to hear about your redwork projects and any additional tidbits of history...feel free to share and happy redworking!

No comments:

Post a Comment